Wednesday, July 6, 2016

How well do you know your city?

Yesterday was the 5th of Juy 2016. Great. This already sounds like a highschool homework. Anyway. I don't wanna brag or anything but I found out something. I was just strolling around my hometown, which is Vienna, without any idea of where I was. But isn't that the cool thing? As children one of the strongest characteristics is curiosity. The will to explore new things and find things of which you never knew they existed. As people grow older and the technological progress doesn't seem to slow down, people tend to lose that will. Looking up where you have to go and how you will get there is obviously more relaxing. But you have to break out of it sometimes. When I walk down the streets I see less and less people doing that which is very sad. Yesterday I was concious of my decision. I knew that my phone with internet access was in my pocket. I knew that I could've just openend google maps and figure where I was. But why? I wanted to escape that. I wanted to get outta my comfort zone. I wanted to discover new places on my own without knowing the shortest route to it. And while I was just wandering, looking at places I thought of exactly that misery. Smartphones and other devices suck out the will to explore. Being nosy is great. But I also made the same mistake. I thought that I would know Vienna just because I grew up in this wonderful city. However, there is so much more to it. I really really recommend everyone who is reading this (I don't know how many actually will) to break out of this lifestyle. Think back to when you were a child and didn't have a smartphone. I bet for most of you, those times were filled with joy and happiness. Exploring the world and seeing how beautiful it can be is such a great experience. And if you think that I'm a complete idiot for saying such things, I'm really happy that you've read until here. Trust me. You should try it. With that being said. Thanks for reading.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment